Business development at a glance
Business development is about developing opportunities to grow a business. Opportunities are typically found in the context of new partnerships, and discovering and tapping new markets. Foremost, a business developer need to have knowledge about the industry they work in. Having an overview of the industry dynamic, the tendencies, and be up to date with the players who shape the industry are all variables that will help you get a strategic overview.
A Business Development Manager must master project implementation and sales. Implementing a company’s strategy, creating new business relationships and strengthening new ones and exploring new market segments, is part of the daily workflow. A business developer gathers necessary resources to do so and to cultivate his network.
Business developers need a set of skills to be successful. We’ll cover many of them. In this track, no one else is responsible for your learning than you. In this course, you’ll:
1) Learn by doing. Do first, then look at the theory. It’s how you’ll learn the best and the fastest
2) Learn by yourself (create independence) and be self-reliant. You’re learning because you want to, not because someone tells you to-
3) Gain confidence! You’ll receive no diploma, but you’ll have a nice portfolio of skills to show. The market doesn’t need diplomas, it needs skills!
Note: This course is not a checklist, it’s a guide. It is made for complete beginners, but you are flexible to use it as you want.
Careers in Business development
With Business development expertise, you’ll be qualified for many jobs. It includes:
- Business development positions
- Business development team lead positions
- Business development manager
- Founder of your company
In business development you are the sole responsible for your personal growth. If you are successful in your job you’ll automatically be given more responsibilities. On the other side, if you don’t achieve your goals, you won’t have much job security.
Skills you’ll get
To be on the edge in a business development position, you need to master certain set of skills. Once you master them, you are on the way of becoming a great business development manager. Here are some of the skills we want you to acquire:
- Know how to deal with people
- Networking and interpersonal skills
- Sales skills, goal setting and knowing the sales funnel
- Art of negotiation
- Leadership and business skills
- Managing your time and getting things done
- Analytical, Excel
- Presentation, Powerpoint
Business development communities
Meetups — Check out the Biz dev and sales communities on Meetup.com. Get together with other business developer enthusiasts and learn from each other!
Facebook — Check in your network if anyone is talking about business development or is part in a group you could join.
LinkedIn — This group has 277,000 members. Join some groups in LinkedIn and share with other business developer enthusiast
Organize and collaborate
Personal time management
Getting things done: Read the book!
If you want to join a startup or a digital company (most companies are getting digital), you should always stay updated about the latest news and trends. Here is a small list of blogs and tech news. I suggest you make your own research about sites in the industry that passionate you.
- The Verge: Technology, science, art and culture
- Wired: “Future technology trends”
- VentureBeat: News and perspective about tech innovations
- The Next Web: Internet technology, business and culture
- TechCrunch: Latest technology news and information
Re/ code: independent tech news
Here are some of the resources I use on a weekly basis: